disabled facilities grant

Your guide to the Disabled Facilities grant

Last updated on August 7th, 2019 at 10:12 am

For those that are disabled or living with someone with a disability – the Government offer a chance to claim a Disabled Facilities grant, to be put toward costs of adjustments and adaptations to the home , with the hope of increasing mobility, independence and overall quality of life.

Examples of how this grant could help you are;

  • Widen doors and install wheelchair ramps
  • Improve access to rooms with threshold ramps and stairlifts
  • Install a heating and lighting system suitable for all
  • Additional kerb ramps outdoors for access to the property

Who can apply for the grant?

You must either own the property, or be a tenant of the property, and intend on living in said property during the grant period (which is currently 5 years). Landlords are able to apply for this grant, providing the tenant has a disability; they will be asked to sign a certificate stating the intention and length of time letting to the tenant. 

What will you receive? 

The value of your grant will depend on your household income or savings over £6000. Below are the possible sums according to country;

England: Up to £30,000

Wales: Up to £36,000

Northern Ireland: Up to £25,000

Scotland: Disabled Facilities grants are not available – please see this page to find out more.

How will you be paid?

Your grant will be paid either in installments as the work develops, or in full after all work has been completed. Your local council may agree to pay the contractor directly, or send a cheque to pass on, on their behalf. This will be discussed and agreed with you upon application for the grant. 

The money will be provided once the council is happy with the completed work, or, after you send the council the invoice/receipt for payment from the contractor. Please note, if you or a relative of yours completes the work themselves, the council will usually only accept invoices for materials or services you have bought instead of labour. 

Planning permission

You will need to seek planning permission or building regulation approval separately from applying for the grant, the council may ask you to hire a qualified architect or surveyor to plan and oversee any works being done; fortunately, the grant can also be used for their fees. 


Application forms are provided by your local council; the council will usually ask you to provide 2 written estimates for the work – they can also provide a list of builders or offer advice regarding the process. Once you have completed your form, return it to your council before any works start, and you should receive a result within 6 months.


Whilst this grant will not affect any benefits, you should always seek advice from your local council or environmental health department before starting any work, any works already completed before receiving approvals may not be covered. 

Featured image credit: www.gov.uk/disabled-facilities-grants/overview

Comments are closed.